Thursday, December 6, 2007

Tipping the scales

An acquaintance of mine told me this past weekend that the scales begin to tip with your newborn. She says you may feel, and I do, that you are just giving and giving to this little one and not getting too much back, but eventually, as they get older and more interactive with you, you begin to receive more than you are giving.
I feel like the scale has begun to tip today.
It's raining and Cooper and I are stuck inside. I have been watch him sleep so soundly and I feel and overwhelming wave of love. It's like nothing I have ever felt.
I kept thinking something was wrong because I had read and heard of all these woman who, upon laying eyes on their newborn are instantly connected with them. I did not feel that way I'm sorry to say. In fact, it is still surreal that we have a child. Also, for me, those first few weeks were scary, and exhausting and just otherworldly, I just did not seem to connect with Cooper in the way that I had heard and read.
But today, something feels like it has changed. He is now 11 weeks old, we have spent just about every second of every day together of those 11 weeks and I am just now feeling, or allowing myself to relax enough to feel the love that is there.
He is beautiful and wonderful. As my good friend Hammer would say, "I'm quite smitten with this little boy".

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Wonderful Gretchen! I am feeling the same way these days with Allegra. Just wait, it only gets better!
xoxo DEW